Greens oppose the expansion of the Marrickville Metro
The Greens are opposed to the expansion for the following reasons:
- Increased traffic congestion and parking issues.
- It will hurt local community shopping villages
- Privatisation of community space
- The Metro is not located near good public transport or a major arterial road
- It is surrounded by residential areas
- The Metro can renovate without doubling in size!
The state government has taken the decision on the Marrickville Metro expansion away from the local council under controversial Part 3A of the Planning Act. Please lobby Carmel Tebbutt on this matter. She is Deputy Premier of the NSW Labor Government. She can stop this development if she really wanted. She should stand up for local residents against the expansion of the Marrickville Metro, despite AMP donating over $256,000 to the NSW & Federal Labor Party in the past ten years. (source: Democracy4sale.org)
The community group opposing the expansion, Metro Watch have an excellent website: www.metrowatch.com.au
- Sydney Morning Herald – Marrickville blocks mall development
- ABC – Marrickville Council against Metro expansion plans
- InnerWest Live – Marrickville Metro WTF?
- StreetCorner – Council and residents rally against Marrickville Metro expansion
- GreenLeft Weekly – Residents in bid to stop shopping centre expansion