Greens pledge support for keeping local government local
On 30 August 2012 Greens candidates for Marrickville and Ashfield joined with local residents and ratepayers at a Meet the Candidates organised by the United Services Union, at Hurlstone Park RSL Club, to pledge opposition to any future plans for forced Council amalgamations by the O’Farrell Liberal Government.
The USU represents local government workers in NSW, and has called on all candidates in the Local Government Elections to “Keep Local Government Local” by:
- Keeping local Council jobs local
- Maintaining core Council services using Council workers
- Opposing outsourcing and privatisation of Council services
- Opposing forced Council amalgamations and boundary changes and
- Supporting the use of Australian products.
The Greens support the aims of the USU campaign, and have a strong track record of opposing outsourcing or privatisation of Marrrickville Council services.
For more information about the “Keeping Local Government Local” campaign visit http://www.usu.org.au/usucampaigns/local-government/i-support-local-jobs