Vision for new library one step closer
Marrickville Council has moved a step closer to delivering on the commitment to build a new library and community hub on the Old Marrickville Hospital vote, with a key vote at the 19 May 2015 Council meeting.
The vote means that the project will move to “Stage 2” of the Tender, where four shortlisted developers will be invited to provide detailed concept plans for the whole site. The plans must reflect the community endorsed design for the library and community hub on the site, as well as the developers’ proposals for residential and commercial development at the back of the site, which will fund the project.
The four developers’ concepts plans and models will be presented to Council and the community, with a final decision to be made by Council in November 2015, and the contracts signed. Importantly, one of the terms of the tender is that the successful developer will be required to build the new library and park before beginning on the residential (private) development. The library, park and proposed affordable housing will be publicly owned.
Over the many years that this project has been under development, the Greens have successfully campaigned for:
- a new library and community hub built in the winning design selected by the community;
- a new park adjoining the community hub and fronting Illawarra Rd which can also be used as a space for public events;
- protection and appropriate adaptive re-use of the key heritage buildings on the site;
- residential housing at the back of the site – which will fund the community investment; and
- at least 4% of affordable housing in the new residential development, which will be targeted on supporting key, low income workers, to be owned by Council and managed by one of our local Community Housing Providers.
The decisions at the 19 May 2015 meeting move one step closer to making this vision a reality.
For more information about the project, including images of the winning design for the site, see our Library and Community Hub campaign page. See also our Affordable Housing campaign page, for more info on the work we have been doing to ensure that affordable housing is to be built as part of the project.d